Rebuilt Title:

All You Want to Know about Rebuilt Title & Vehicles.

Rebuilt Title means that the vehicle has had a serious damage. You can safely buy such a vehicle only when you know what exactly happened. That is why it is critically important to check vehicle history by VIN.

Enter Your VIN:
(All Vehicle Types)

North Carolina Rebuilt Title

In NC rebuilt title is given to repaired total loss (usually salvage) vehicles that were recognized roadworthy. Salvage Rebuilt title is required to legally drive a salvage vehicle.

How To Get A Rebuilt Title In North Carolina

Be ready to provide the following documents:

  • A valid Driver License/ID (temporary Driving Certificate (TDC) cannot be used to register a vehicle in North Carolina so new NC residents will have to wait until they get a NC driver’s license).
  • A bill of sale for every part used in repair (ask the mechanic who rebuilt the vehicle). The DMV will need them to make sure no stolen parts are used in the car.
  • Proof of paying property taxes for the vehicle you are titling
  • Notarized signatures of co-owners to appear on the title should be on all documents or a Power of Attorney must be provided to sign for the co-owners plus a black and white copy of the co-owners valid Driver License/ID
  • Title application form (MVR-1 form) (all liens should be declared, Notarization Required).
  • Bill of Sale (in order to show the vehicle’s purchase price)
  • Lien Release Must (if there are liens shown on vehicle’s title)
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement ( MVR-180 ) (for vehicles less than 10 years old)
  • Declaration of Eligible Risk ( MVR-615 )

If You Are Selling A Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle In NC

Damage disclose statement is mandatory for all vehicle sellers in NC. The form must list all the substantial damages the vehicle has suffered or the branded titles the vehicle has had the seller is aware of, such as Reconstructed Vehicle, Salvage Rebuilt Vehicle, Junk Vehicle, Salvage Motor Vehicle or Flood Vehicle. The damage types are specified in the *Damage Disclosure Statement form form( MVR-181 ), you can download the from here:

Reconstructed Vehicle in NC

Reconstructed Vehicle in NC is not the same as rebuilt salvage . Reconstructed Vehicle title is issued to motor vehicles that have been “materially altered from original construction due to the removal, addition or substitution or essential parts” (according to This title also applies to assembled vehicles and glider kits.


  • If you want to register an out-of-state rebuilt vehicle (the one that got a rebuilt title out of NC) and the seller is an insurance company, dealer or rebuilder company, the vehicle must pass an inspection. If the seller is a private person, the inspection is not required and the vehicle is titled like a regular vehicle with a clean title, unless the vehicle was bought back from the insurance company by the owner the inspection. In this case, the inspection is required.
  • Anti-Theft Inspection by the License & Theft Bureau is mandatory for all salvaged or damaged vehicles which are six model years old or newer.
  • Applying for a rebuilt title will not require purchasing a bond (and getting a bonded title) the vehicle’s title wasn’t clear when it got salvaged.

Don't run risks!

Run VIN check - discover what you weren't told about that rebuilt vehicle!

Enter Your VIN:
(All Vehicle Types)